Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Topamax? Weight Loss? Hair Loss?

My doctor just prescribed me Topamax for migraines. She told me one of the side effects was weight loss, slow memory, and hair loss? Has anyone experienced any of these side effects. She prescribed me 25mg per day. If you have experienced weight loss, how much weight did you lose, how tall are you, and what were your weights before and after weight loss? Also, how much weight did you lose over a period of time and what was your dosage? Serious answers please!Topamax? Weight Loss? Hair Loss?
Hi,





I started on Topamax for migraines following a traumatic brain injury. Before the topamax, they had tried me on amytriptiline for the migraines, which did nothing but help add 20 pounds to me (between the medicine, and the not working an active job where I was lifting 200 pounds at at time a few times a day........, and having muscle weakness on one side of my body.)





The topamax I started in july of 2005. I started it at 25 mg twice per day. I was also trying VERY hard at that time to lose weight. I only finally begun to lose weight about a year ago (but, I was having hormone problems as well, and some of the other medicines also slowed down my metabolism I think). I have times now where I can lose 1-2 pounds EASILY in a week, and then I wont lose anything then I will drop another 4 pounds without trying......currently, I am on 200 mg a DAY though, and I weigh just over 200 pounds, and I am 5'7'; and fairly muscular compaired to alot of people my size.





Recently, I had an IDIOT neurologist do a video EEG on me. I knew about it for 6 months...(that is how long it took for them to get the appointment, and have an opening, and everything.) I had told them about the topamax I am on, and the dose. I KNEW you shouldnt stop it cold turkey, and I ASKED about weaning off it BEFORE hand....they said NOPE, keep taking it. now, I have ALOT of migraines STILL (about 20 a month, but with the topamax, when they are controlled, the severity is only about a 3 on 10, not the 8-10 on 10 that it COULD be without the topamax). Well, they had me cold turkey STOP the topamax on october 1st when I went into the hospital for the video EEG---I was there for 5 days. I was in AGONY. the doc---again, was a TOTAL idiot---it takes 5 days for TOPAMAX to get out of your system when you are on 200 mg a day....and you stop taking it cold turkey. I had HORRIBLE migraines....couldnt think straight., nothing worked to resolve my migraines, was nauseas with the migraines, had muscle twitches (fasciculations) which were not seizures, and was just out right miserable. when I told him on day 5 I was leaving....he told me to restart the topamax at 200 mg a day .....which was ANOTHER huge error the idiot made. I should have weaned BACK on it over the next 4 weeks...which I didnt realize until later---and it SHOULD have taken me 2 weeks to COME OFF of it.





For the next 3 weeks, my memory, spelling, speech was HORRIBLE. Then, my spelling got a bit better, and I would still have some word finding problems.....my memory was bad for a while...but, I have short term memory problems from my head injury, but it was DEFINITELY worse from this.....





My migraines are finally back under control over the last 3 weeks....other than now I have something with my middle ears, and taking sudafed, so not sleeping at night, and causing migraines (my regular doc has me on the sudafed to dry out the fluid in my middle ears, and if it dont work in the next day or two, they may have to drain them :(





After going through this last 2 months with the topamax being at subpar levels in my system, and then having it work again, I can say it DEFINITELY takes the EDGE off my migraines.....but, again...mine are 20+ a month, and normally 8+ on a 10 scale, and running out of abortive med choices (tried all the triptans.....the few that worked, had problems with)....you hopefully will be migraine free.





my sister has sinus migraines from chronic sinus problems. We call topamax DOPAMAX at times...particularly when she has her dosage changed and is having the side effects, or when I went through my last 2 months of the subpar levels. That is the only time we really notice problems.





Good luck to you, hope this answers your questions.





oh, and NO HAIR LOSS---I have THICK hair, and my sister ALWAYS had thin hair....both are fine.Topamax? Weight Loss? Hair Loss?
Of the hundreds of weight-loss pills and potions available for sale in the United States, none is currently approved by the FDA for over-the-counter sale as a diet treatment. But based on a January 23, 2006, press release from drug manufacturer GlaxoSmithKline, this is about to change.





On Monday, the company announced that “the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) joint Nonprescription Drugs and Endocrinologic and Metabolic Drugs Advisory Committee voted 11 to 3 to recommend approval of Orlistat 60 mg capsules for over-the-counter (OTC) use in the United States.” One more step -- final approval from the FDA -- is necessary before the drug can be sold without a prescription.





Orlistat has been sold in prescription form as Xenical since 1999. The drug works in conjunction with a low-calorie, low-fat diet to promote weight loss. The OTC version of the drug, which Glaxo intends to sell under the trade name Alli, would be taken with meals to inhibit the body’s absorption of dietary fat during digestion.





In clinical studies, participants who took a form of the proposed drug experienced embarrassing side effects when their diets contained more than the recommended upper limit of 30 percent of calories from fat. These side effects included gas, an oily discharge in undergarments, and urgent bowel movements. Some participants actually had episodes of incontinence while on the drug.





Can this be the magic bullet for weight loss we’ve all been waiting for? Once again the answer is no. While participants in studies did lose weight over time, many regained it once they stopped the medication. The medication does not teach behavior change and is no substitute for it. Instead of adjusting their fat intake to the recommended 30 percent of calories or less, many people who take the drug will continue to eat as usual and deal with the uncomfortable and sometimes embarrassing side effects instead of changing their eating habits.





Patients who were prescribed orlistat as a weight control medication usually received some form of education from a health professional about diet modification and behavior change. Once this product is available over the counter, consumers will not receive the same guidance and may not have or use access to a health professional who can counsel them on how best to use it.





Despite these drawbacks, with over 60 percent of Americans considered overweight, I do think there is a role for this medication. But consumers should realize that dietary and lifestyle changes must be made when taking the drug. My concern is that orlistat’s wider availability in the near future will not include access to education and guidance regarding diet to ensure long-term success.
I started taking topramax for weight loss 100mg a day and it really didn't seem to do anything for my weight but my headaches got a lot better. then I decided to make a serious effort to diet and taking the topramax did seem to make it easier and I never seemed to get the headaches i usually always got with low blood sugars My hair is always thin, but my fingernails got brittle and broke easily..
Yes, I took topamax too. It made my feet and hands horribly numb, the pain was unbearable. I also has some hair loss, the medicine made me slow too, I also lost 20 lbs on it. I was only 125 and 5'4'; at the time. Although it did help with migranes, I don't take it anymore. It was VERY expensive. 30 50mg pills cost me $200! yes two-hundred! That is with insurance!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment